Monday, October 18, 2010

The Laptop Saga....

Every person has dreams. Big ones, small ones, simple ones etc. I too have a few. One such dream/ wish was that I should own a laptop. It was the one thing that I really wanted to splurge on when I started earning.

Slowly and steadily I accumulated the amount that I would need to buy a really good laptop. But when I put forth my desire to buy the laptop in front of my mom, she was against it. She said I should save so that I have some cash on me once I move to Chennai after my marriage. You see, she was saying so as I was engaged to be married.

I decided to wait a few more months to fulfill my wish of owning a Laptop. I got married. When I hinted to my hubby about this wish, my hubby said he has a laptop and whats his is mine. I had explained to him saying I know that, but I would still like to fulfill my dream. And he agreed. I was so happy!!!

Our 6 month anniversary was fast approaching. It was almost an unspoken knowledge my hubby would buy me a laptop for the occasion. But alas, a few days before the anniversary some idiot decided to steal my cellphone. So all plans changed and he got me a real nice touch screen cellphone. But my dream of owning a laptop got postponed again.

My hubby said he would get it for my Birthday. So as February approached, i started counting days when my long awaited dream will get fulfilled. That was when my husband and I decided to plan our long due Honeymoon. As we were having a belated Honeymoon we decided to make it as memorable as possible. We were undecided between Far East and Europe. My hubby said if I choose Far east I get the trip and the Laptop. If I choose Europe I will get the trip but the laptop will have to wait. After much debate, I decided, FIRST Honeymoon happens only once. Why settle for less? So I decided that we should go to Europe, the most romantic place in the world. I thought the laptop dream has been postponed so long. Why not a bit more.

We had an awesome and unforgettable trip in Europe. The best FIRST Honeymoon ever :P. After coming back we decided that as my anniversary gift I'll get the Lappie, but a little late, as we had gone on this trip a bit too close to our anniversary time. I agreed.

Then things started spiraling out of control. My hubby got a job in Bangalore and we moved. The last few months since the move I have barely had the time to think of a having my own laptop, a second laptop in our house.

Imagine my surprise when a Laptop landed in my hands in this situation! No the way I wanted it. Not like I purchased it or got my own personal laptop!! There was no time for that. Work hours had worsened, I was barely able to get enough sleep, let alone finding time to play around with a laptop. This was the worse thing I could imagine to have happened at this time. My company decided to provide me with a LAPTOP so that I can work easily at home without having to stay late in office. Ironically, this was something I did not want!

Anyone who thinks this is a blessing, I am sorry to burst your bubble. It was the start of a even worse "Nightmare". Endless hours of work. Sleepless nights, hordes of mails.... Its been a horrible 20 days and the nightmare continues.

The day I got the laptop, my mom commented, "Wow. Now your dream of having your own laptop is fulfilled". I did not know how to react. It was too early to comment. But after 2 continuous sleepless nights I decided I was right in not wanting the Laptop. I went to return it to my manager and he refused to take it back. After loads of discussion, its been decided that I can return it after the current project gets over. I cannot wait to give the laptop back. Now a days I feel one laptop at home is enough, specially if the second laptop is given by your company!!!

I wanted a laptop, I got one. Maybe not the way I wanted it, not like my own personal laptop. If it had been a personal one I would have loved the fact that I realized a dream of mine. But a company laptop never means fulfilling a dream, it only means that we will henceforth have no time to have dreams. So no question of fulfilling them!! The words "your laptop" fills me with dread and apprehension. It fills me with fear of longer working hours, loss of sleep and more work! All this because my company decided to break some rules, be nice and give me, a fresher, a laptop! I wonder if they know how they have made me dread one of the few words that I cherished. After all it was a dream for me.

I know that buying a personal laptop is way different from this situation. And I still hope to have my very own laptop. I just do not want it to be given to me by my company!!!

1 comment:

Ranjani said...

Enjoyed reading the story. I can imagine what must have been ur state :)